King George VI Lift Bridge
Bridge Street, Port Stanley
This magnificent 1939 bridge, the oldest of its type in Ontario, is located in the centre of the village. It is one of several that have spanned Kettle Creek from the mid 1800s on. The present bridge is a bascule drawbridge with counterweights that continuously balance the spans through their upward swing. Indeed, the bridge is so finely counterbalanced that it can, if necessary, be raised and lowered manually. During the construction of the bridge in 1937, a cofferdam collapsed, killing 8 of the 13 men working on the bridge at the time. More about this tragedy can be learned by reading the brass plaque on the east tower of the bridge.
Visitors to Doors Open can watch the bridge as it majestically opens and closes every hour on the hour to allow boaters and fishing vessels safe passage to and from the inner harbour and may even enjoy a visit to the bridge tower. Displays in adjacent Glover Park will tell the whole story of the bridge.
Located in the heart of South-west Ontario's tourist country